Organic Almond Glazed Snickerdoodle Bread
Classic snickerdoodle cookies are re-imagined in this delightful organic dessert bread.
This recipe has been revised for a healthier nutrition profile.
MAKES: 12 servings
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Bread Batter:
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup organic white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
For the Cinnamon Sugar Layers:
- 1 tablespoon organic white sugar
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1⁄8 cup slivered almonds
For the Almond Glaze:
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Almond Extract
To Make the bread batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar and beat until well mixed.
- With mixer running, add eggs one at a time.
- Add yogurt and vanilla. Beat until well mixed, scraping sides of bowl if needed.
- Add flour, baking powder and cinnamon, stirring just until combined.
To Make the cinnamon sugar layers:
- Into a greased 9-inch bread pan, pour half the batter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Over batter in pan, sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Pour other half of batter over cinnamon sugar layer.
- Top with remaining cinnamon sugar mixture and slivered almonds.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
To Make the almond glaze:
- While bread bakes, in a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Stir until well mixed.
- After baking, let bread sit for 5 minutes, then drizzle glaze over top.
- Allow to rest until cooled. Remove from pan and slice.
- To make the bread dairy-free, substitute coconut milk yogurt for the whole milk yogurt and use a milk alternative in the frosting.
- To make gluten-free, substitute a gluten-free all-purpose flour in a 1:1 ratio.