Organic Spiced Rum Coquito
Settle in with this comfortingly rich rum cojito, made with coconut milk, warmly seasoned with organic spices and adorned with a stunning coconut rim.
This recipe has been revised for a healthier nutrition profile.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Coquito:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup white rum
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cloves + more for topping
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg + more for topping
- Whipped cream
For the Glass Rim Garnish:
- 1⁄4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
To Make the coquito:
- Prepare glass rims as directed below.
- In a blender, add fat from top of coconut milk and half of the water in the cans.
- Add maple syrup, rum, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and pulse for 2 minutes, until frothy and thick, adding more coconut water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Pour into chilled, rimmed glasses and garnish with whipped cream, cloves and nutmeg.
To Make the glass rim garnish:
- In a wide, shallow bowl, combine coconut, sugar and cloves.
- Dip rims of 5 glasses in a shallow bowl of water, then into the bowl of garnish.
- In the freezer, chill glasses for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
- For thicker coquito, add 2 cans full-fat unsweetened coconut milk to a pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until it begins to thicken. Remove and let cool to room temperature. Then add to the blender with remaining ingredients and serve, or store in the refrigerator until ready to prepare the drinks.