Organic Tomatillo Green Chili
This light, yet satisfying tomatillo green chili contains the delicious flavors of cumin, coriander and a trio of roasted chili peppers paired with hearty chicken and cannellini beans.
MAKES: 8 servings
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 11⁄2 pounds tomatillos
- 2 jalapenos, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 poblano pepper, halved and seeded (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 bunches cilantro leaves, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Ground Cumin Seed
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Oregano Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Coriander Seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling peppers
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Pinch of Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
- Simply Organic® Daily Grind Black Pepper, to taste
- Red cabbage, finely shredded
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Peel husks off tomatillos and cut tomatillos in half. Lay cut-side down on baking sheet.
- Lay jalapenos, bell peppers and poblanos cut-side down on same baking sheet. Add garlic cloves.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in oven for about 20 minutes, until tomatillo and pepper skins blister. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Into a blender, place tomatillos (skins included), roasted garlic, jalapeno, green bell pepper, poblano and cilantro. Pulse until finely chopped and mixed.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Add chicken, tomatillo and pepper mixture, cannellini beans, cumin, oregano, coriander, the ½ teaspoon salt and chicken stock. Add a pinch of ground cloves and black pepper.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh avocado, cabbage, additional cilantro and lime wedges.